Better Together: Preparing for Collaborative Practice consists of a 1-hour online module and a 3-hour live Zoom session that offers students an opportunity to engage with peers, as well as health professionals and experts, to learn how interprofessional collaboration impacts real world health outcomes.
Through this experience, students will:
- Increase awareness that achieving desired health outcomes requires collaboration; among patients/clients, families, learners, and a variety of administrative, social, health, and support personnel.
- Begin developing an interprofessional identity.
- Become aware of collaborative competencies that all learners across the health professions need to develop to engage in collaborative practice.
- Engage in meaningful discussions with other learners, patients/clients, and health professionals to increase knowledge of the various roles, responsibilities, values of collaborative team members.
- Become aware of the continuum of interprofessional education and practice, including the 1Health curriculum.
As a student participating in Better Together, you will be granted access to the necessary curricular materials and the online module via the 1Health Database. Once you log into the 1Health Database with your UMN Internet ID and password, you will be able to access the online module and pre-work form. (Note: If you are a student participant from the College of St. Scholastica, you will log into this system using your UMN Guest ID and password)
In the 1Health Database, you will also see your assigned Better Together session, which will be a live Zoom session this year. There will be seven Better Together sessions scheduled throughout the fall semester, and it is important that you attend the session to which you are assigned! This is an opportunity for rich, interprofessional engagement and interaction with a wide variety of health professional students, and with practicing health professionals and experts. In the session, you will also begin to explore how interprofessional communication and collaboration skills impact teamwork, and the ability to safely and effectively care for patients, clients, and communities.
Important note for students:
- Read the Better Together instructions that you receive from [email protected].
- Complete the Better Together online module and submit your pre-work form in the 1Health Database by the stated deadline.
- Make sure you have a good high-speed internet connection in order to actively participate in your pre-assigned Better Together session via Zoom! Each of the Better Together live Zoom sessions will begin promptly at 2:00pm and end at 5:00pm.
- Students should participate in the Better Together live Zoom session via laptop/desktop computer or tablet in order to be able to access session resources. Students should not use a phone to log into their session.
- Following your participation in a Better Together session, be sure to complete your required Better Together evaluation forms in the 1Health Database by the stated deadline.
Questions? Contact [email protected]
If you are a practicing health professional who is interested in engaging with new health professional students to share your real world experiences, we invite you to participate in the Better Together sessions! All of these sessions will take place online via Zoom this year, and you will have the opportunity to connect with two interprofessional groups of students, with 20 minutes allotted for each small group conversation. Please visit the link shown below to see the Better Together session dates/times, and sign up today!
Once you submit this interest form and you are confirmed to take part in the health professional discussions portion of one or more Better Together session, you will be provided with more detailed session information, Zoom connection information, and small group conversation guidance.
We look forward to your participation in this rich, interprofessional learning experience!
Questions? Contact [email protected]umn.edu