Successful completion of the IPE Scholars Program will allow you to earn a formal distinction in interprofessional education to be displayed on your official University of Minnesota transcript.
To participate, you must be enrolled in a UMN health professional school or program. In addition to completing your program's core IPE requirements addressing the three-phase IPE curriculum, students who participate in the IPE Scholars Program are also responsible for completing several other interprofessional experiences.
Refer to the IPE Scholars Program Flyer for a brief overview of the program
Through these experiences, you will develop your competence in each of the four interprofessional core competency areas:
- Values and Ethics for Interprofessional Practice
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Interprofessional Communication
- Teams and Teamwork
- Earn a formal distinction in interprofessional education, to be displayed on your official UMN transcript.
- Engage with a faculty advisor for ongoing mentorship and guidance.
- Enhance your knowledge about interprofessional education and collaborative practice.
- Develop and refine your interprofessional collaboration skills through a variety of interprofessional courses and activities.
- Apply your interprofessional knowledge and skills by developing and carrying out a leadership, teaching or scholarly project relating to interprofessional education and collaborative practice.
When to Apply
Students who are interested in participating in the IPE Scholars Program are encouraged to submit their application during their first year of enrollment, if possible. Applications must be submitted no later than the first month of a student’s final semester of enrollment. Please note that this later application may not allow enough time to complete the IPE Scholars Program requirements.
The application cycle for AY 2022-2023 is open. Applications are due by December 15, 2022.
Questions? Please email the CIH interprofessional education team at [email protected].
How to Apply
**Please take note of the application deadline detailed in the "When to Apply" section above**
To submit an application to participate in the IPE Scholars Program, please follow the steps detailed below.
- Go to the 1Health Database (www.1health.ahc.umn.edu) and login using your UMN Internet ID and password.
- From your home page, click on the ‘My IPE Scholars Program’ tile.
- Click on the ‘Start my Application’ button.
- Fill out the online application form, with your personal statement being articulated through thoughtful responses to the three questions on the form. You may consider your responses ahead of time if you wish:
- What does interprofessional education and practice mean to you, and why is it important? What motivates you to do this work? What do you hope to accomplish through this work?
- What do you hope to learn from the activities you’ve completed/are planning to complete as part of the program? What aspects of the program might be challenging for you?
- Please describe any interprofessional activities or experiences (defined as an interactive activity involving two or more professions) that you have participated in to date, if any?
Sample Individual Program Plans
Prior to the IPE Scholars Kick-Off Meeting, you will be asked to start working on an Individual Program Plan that will help you consider your pathway through the IPE Scholars Program. This plan is fluid and will be further customized with your faculty advisor as you progress through the program. Below are sample Individual Program Plans to help you think about what your own pathway might entail. If you have any questions about this, please contact [email protected].
Core IPE Requirements
To participate in the IPE Scholars Program, students from any health professional program must participate in the three-phase developmental approach of the 1Health curriculum (awareness, skill building, and experiential). This includes completing one experience in each of the three phases (Phase 1, Phase 2, and Phase 3). Students may complete their core IPE requirements for interprofessional education (as required by their school/program of enrollment), while simultaneously work toward completing the additional requirements for the IPE Scholars Program.
*If you are unsure whether or not your school/program currently meets this three-phase core IPE requirement, please reach out to the director of your school/program for more information.
Submit your Online Application
The application must be completed via the 1Health Database. Please see the "How to Apply" section above.
Following the December 15th application deadline for AY 2022-2023, the CIH team will review your application and notify you if you have been accepted. Upon acceptance, you will receive an invitation to attend the IPE Scholars Program Kick-off Meeting along with instructions on what to do to prepare for the meeting.
IPE Scholars Program Kick-off Meeting
The CIH interprofessional education team will invite you, and the other newly accepted scholars, to attend the IPE Scholars Program Kick-Off Meeting. The meeting will take place virtually via Zoom. The purpose of the kick-off meeting is to welcome you and the other new scholars to the program, review the program requirements, answer any questions you may have, and give you a chance to meet and hear from your peers. Shortly following the kick-off meeting, you will be assigned an IPE Scholars Faculty Advisor who will engage you in ongoing mentorship and guidance.
Complete your IPE Knowledge Requirements
Complete your IPE Knowledge Part 1 requirement detailed below ahead of the IPE Scholars Program Kick-Off meeting.
- Review the UMN CIH and 1Health curriculum website, explore the tools and resources on the National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education website, and read the IPEC Competency reports (2011 & 2016).
- Complete your IPE Knowledge Form - Part 1 form in the 1Health Database.
- Discuss what you learned with your peers at the kick-off meeting.
Complete your IPE Knowledge Part 2 requirement detailed below after the IPE Scholars Program Kick-Off meeting.
- Review three seminal articles, and begin to understand current trends in IPE via scholarly journals (such as JIC and JIEP).
- Complete your IPE Knowledge Form - Part 2 form in the 1Health Database.
- Discuss what you learned with your IPE Scholars Faculty Advisor.
Complete your IPE Skill Development Requirements
Complete your IPE Skill Development requirements, as discussed and agreed upon with your IPE Scholars Faculty Advisor. You will find options that satisfy this requirement by searching through the list of approved Phase 2 IPE Experiences. Please note you will need to complete two experiences from this list - one to satisfy your Phase 2 Core IPE requirement and another to satisfy your IPE Skill Development requirement.
NOTE: The following options may satisfy the IPE Skill Development requirement, but will need to be discussed with your IPE Scholars Faculty Advisor: Interprofessional Environmental and Occupational Health Data Analysis, and Ethics Grand Rounds.
Complete your IPE Skill Development Completion Summary Form in the 1Health Database.
Complete your IPE in Action Requirements
Complete your IPE in Action requirement, as discussed and agreed upon with your IPE Scholars Faculty Advisor.
- Consider how you might apply your interprofessional knowledge and skills in a meaningful way (using the categories detailed below) and complete the IPE in Action Project Proposal Form in the 1Health Database.
- Meet with your IPE Scholars Faculty Advisor to review your proposal and complete your IPE in Action Project Planning Meeting.
IPE in Action project categories:
- Interprofessional Leadership (Examples: Phillips Neighborhood Clinic Board Member, HOPE Clinic Board Member, CLARION Board Member, CHIP Executive Council Member, etc.)
- Interprofessional Teaching (Examples: student facilitator or instructor for a 1Health activity)
- Interprofessional Scholarship (Examples: Present a poster or paper on an interprofessional topic at a conference, to health care leaders, or to the 1Health team)
Complete your IPE in Action Project Completion Summary Form in the 1Health Database.
- Complete your IPE Scholars Program Reflection form and your IPE Scholars Program Recommendations form using the instructions detailed in the 1Health Database, and submit online.
- Complete your final IPE Scholars Program Reflection Review & Completion Meeting with your IPE Scholars Faculty Advisor..
Speech Language Pathology student Morgan Zoeller shares thoughts on the value of the IPE Scholars Program